How to get rid of old hair.
Gluing is the most common way of attaching wigs, but for fabric dolls, sewing is an easier option.
Attaching to vinyl, plastic etc using glue
The glue I use for attaching wigs, is Selleys’ "All Fix" – "Sticks just about anything to anything" – dries white and can be cleaned up with water before it sets.
I have used the Selleys’ All Fix glue many times and for many years. It has worked well and is easier to manage than solvent clean-up glues. If Selleys’ All Fix gets on something, it’s easier to remove – it’s water wash–off while wet. All Fix has provided the best bond to vinyl, of the glues I have tried so far.
Selleys' All Fix is available from Coles, Woolies, Bunnings etc.
Please note I make no claim to be an expert at applying wigs. The below technique works for me, but I make no claims that this is the best technique.
- Firstly, wash doll’s head with warm water and detergent. Rinse with clean water. Dry thoroughly.
- Have 2 or 3 damp cloths on hand for emergency clean up.
- Remove label from wig. Please note The label goes to back of the head. If there is no label, carefully try the wig on the head to find the best positioning, then put a chalk mark on the inside edge of the wig at the middle back (middle neck) of the wig. If the wig has strips of fabric with velcro, flapping around, these should be cut off.
- Position wig in the position you are happy with. Don't rush this - once glued it is very messy to redo. When you are happy with the position, lightly draw a line with chalk round the wig line at the front of the doll's head on the vinyl.
- Remove wig. Turn wig inside out and put shower cap over hair side of the wig (see picture on right) leaving the inside (mesh) of the wig exposed and pin around the edge of the hole to keep in place. Insert pins from the side away from the hole (makes it easier to pull pins out later). Stick the pins through both the shower cap and the hair. This is an attempt to stop the hair getting glue all over it.
- Apply glue around the edge of the wig, on the band/elastic section (the outer 1cm approximately). If you want to put any glue in the centre section of the wig, apply it VERY thinly on the head of the doll, not on the wig. If glue is applied to the centre section of the wig, it will almost certainly seep through the mesh and gunk up the hair. The edge of the wig is the most important and critical area to put glue. Be careful to not put too much there as well. It can ooze out and get on the hair.
- Place wig on the doll, positioning the front section of the wig where your chalk marks are. Stretch it over the back of head to fit. You may need to remove the shower cap during this operation.
- Quickly and thoroughly wipe away any glue that has got where it shouldn't be.
- Remove the shower cap and make any final adjustments to positioning.
- Once again, thoroughly check for any glue on hair or vinyl, and wipe off.
- Stretch the foot of an old pair of pantyhose or a sock, over the wig until the glue dries.
Before and After
See the difference a new doll wig can make.
Thank you to Lauri, for permission to use the pics of her beautiful Pedigree doll.